Austria’s interior minister has admitted that a warning from Slovakia last summer about a gunman who went on the rampage in the centre of Vienna was not followed up.
Four people were fatally shot and 23 others wounded on Monday night. Police in Slovakia revealed they had tipped off Austrian authorities about “suspects from Austria” trying to buy ammunition in July.
Reports suggest the trip to buy bullets failed as the gunman had no license. It has also emerged he was released early from a jail sentence last December for trying to join jihadists in Syria.
Read the full story on bbc.com.
Slovak police said they had informed their Austrian colleagues immediately, adding they would not comment further. Asked about the revelations on Wednesday, Austrian Interior Minister Karl Nehammer said the information had been investigated by the BVT do According to German media, the 20-year-old, who was shot dead by police nine minutes after the attack began, travelled to neighbouring Slovakia to buy ammunition for a Kalashnikov AK-47 assault rifle but returned emptymestic intelligence agency but no further action had been taken. “Something obviously went wrong in communication,” he told reporters, adding that he wanted an independent inquiry to find out why.
More details have emerged about the four people murdered in the centre of Vienna in the hours before new coronavirus restrictions were due to come into force:
24-year-old German student was killed in front of the restaurant in Ruprechtsplatz where she worked as a waitress; she’d been studying at the nearby University of Applied Arts A 21-year-old man originally from North Macedonia was shot near Fleischmarkt; Nedzip V. was described as a painter who loved football and played for years for local club FC Bisamber A 39-year-old Austrian man was killed in front of a fast food restaurant in Schwedenplatz