It’s official: Most of California’s coronavirus rules governing public gatherings will disappear on Tuesday after Gov. Gavin Newsom signed an executive order Friday afternoon that heralds the end of the pandemic’s hold on much of public life for the nation’s most populous state.
The executive orders that are being rescinded on June 15 include the stay-at-home order that was implemented early in the pandemic as well as the county tier system that has determined restrictions for businesses.
On June 15, California will no longer require physical distancing and will allow full capacity for businesses.
In place of the terminated executive orders will be a new state public health order that details requirements for s0-called mega-events and instances where masking will continue to be required, such as at hospitals and transportation hubs.
“California is turning the page on this pandemic, thanks to swift action by the state and the work of Californians who followed public health guidelines and got vaccinated to protect themselves and their communities,” Gov. Newsom said in a prepared statement. “With nearly 40 million vaccines administered and among the lowest case rates in the nation, we are lifting the orders that impact Californians on a day-to-day basis while remaining vigilant to protect public health and safety as the pandemic persists.”
The governor’s office said Friday that Newsom will continue the “wind-down” of executive actions put in place since March 2020.
Read full story kcra.com
“To ensure that impacted individuals and entities have time to prepare for the changes, the provisions will sunset in phases, beginning later this month, in July and in September,” his office said in a news release Friday.
His office asserts that by the end of September, roughly 90% of pandemic-related executive actions taken since March of last year will have been lifted.
Newsom is also not yet ending the state’s “state of emergency” which gives him broad powers to either suspend or declare new rules and regulations.